Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 28oz. can tomatoes (crushed)
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 6ox. can tomato paste
water
black pepper, onion salt, oregano, garlic salt, basil

Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet. Put beef mixture in large stockpot. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste and 2 paste cans full of water. Season with the spices to taste. Heat to rolling boil, reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring regularly, for 1 hour until it thickens.

This is my favorite thing that my husband cooks for me. (We joke that part of the reason I married him was for his spaghetti!) It was his mom's recipe that he has made his own - unfortunately he doesn't measure the spices, but everyone's palate is a bit different so you can make it to your liking if you decide to try it. I like it so much that I asked him to fix a double recipe this time so I can take leftovers to work for lunch. I may even freeze some of it so I don't have to wait for the next batch! It has that great homemade taste, there's nothing like it. Boil some pasta and add some bread, you have a fantastic, filling meal that leaves the whole house smelling wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment