Sunday, January 2, 2011

Easy Peanut Brittle

Ingredients:

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 c. unsalted peanuts
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

Grease a cookie sheet and set it aside. Combine sugar, corn syrup, peanuts and salt in microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stir, microwave on high an additional 3-3 1/2 minutes. Add butter. Microwave on high another 1 minute. Brittle should not get too brown. Stir in vanilla and soda until light and foamy. Spread on the buttered baking sheet as thinly as possible. Cool. Break into pieces.

Sometime in the past couple of years I discovered that my husband really likes peanut brittle. I wanted to try making it for him but I didn't want anything too complicated. I searched and found directions for a microwave version online. I tested and tweaked it. I even threw out a couple batches because the cook time was too long and the brittle turned dark and tasted burnt. I learned not to use a rubber spatula for the stirring - it will melt (duh), and don't put wax paper on the cookie sheet to try to make it easier to get the brittle up after it cools - the wax melts (duh again)! Finally success. This is the recipe I used this year and my husband said it was better than any other brittle he had this holiday season. Also, when I made it and broke it apart I saved all the little scraps and sprinkled them on top of ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment